Saturday, September 01, 2007

The Muse is a Fickle Wench

My muse is a fickle wench. I say this because, I will be cruising along, writing well, and suddenly POOF. Nada. Nothing. We come to a screeching halt for no reason that makes sense to me at all. And in the background, another story altogether jumps up and begs for attention.

Um, uh, love ya, but NO. I've got this DEADLINE, and um. . .

But nope. Not one idea or word will come on the story I SHOULD be writing, and the other one just starts to blossom.

Now part of this is just a siren song of distraction. Am I really dedicated to the work enough to finish?

But part of this USUALLY is that I've gone astray somewhere in the pages just before the stop. If I take a day or two, explore other things and come back I can usually see what the problem was, fix it, and move on. USUALLY. Sometimes, though, I just have to walk away for a while -- IF I'm not on a deadline.

In the time since I finished up Touch of Darkness the Muse has been particularly flighty, sending me from one project to another. Maybe it's because I'm actually CAUGHT UP and can do what I want right now. THAT won't last however, and I DO want to finish SOMETHING.

So wish me luck. Let's hope she settles down soon.


Cie

No comments: