Friday, August 04, 2006

Captive Moon is Out!!!

Good News! Captive Moon is out! We have another book on the shelves! This is the first of the Sazi books done in third person. It features Antoine Monier. There are wonderful things about this book, but I'm nervous. Why? Because it's third person. I LIKE first person books. It's so EASY to get into the character's head and understand their perspective. Third person is just not "natural" for me. I can do it, but while I can get a first person book out right away, third person HURTS. It's like pulling teeth. But there are people who won't read first person. Cathy does not have this problem. But I am not Cathy. SOOOOOOO not.

I haven't been writing much. This is not a good thing. But it is a third person book and, as I said, pulling teeth. UGH. It will be all right. I know it will. But UGH.

For entertainment James and I have been watching The West Wing (seasons 1-4 on DVD) and 6 Feet Under (Season 1 on VHS). Extremely good shows! I am definitely going to want the rest. Both are very smart and very clever with people who screw up occasionally, but try hard. Six Feet Under is amazing at capturing the awkwardness of not being "normal." It sometimes HURTS it's so on target. I'm hoping that I can capture just a little of that same feel for the heroine I'm working on now. I want people to relate to Aspen, not write her off as a nutjob. I LIKE her.

Was reading the LKH blog the other day. (I do this). Two of the entries hit home. Then again, a lot of them do. (1) Was about people's expectations of her behavior based on her books, (They expect her to be Morticia Addams in her everyday life and are disappointed that she's too normal.); and (2) It freaks her sometimes that her characters are so real to her that it sometimes spills into real life.

Well, I was going to rant, but I don't have the energy to do that and get the pages out. So pages first. If I feel better after (usually I do) I'll come back and finish. Otherwise, see you tomorrow.

All the best.

Cie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I traveled to 2 books stores before finding Captive Moon. B&N (at the BIG MALL) said it was on order. "On Order" I said to myself and drove across town to Borders. The staff was still putting them on the new release table. I purchased it and went home to read it. YEA! YEA! Loved it! I liked the conversation with Toni while they were shopping. I loved the characters and how you showed the human weakness within them.

You mentioned your neverousness over third person. I was hesistant too, but I couldn't but it down. I can't wait for the next one. It ships tomorrow right? (snorts and giggles).

Thanks for a great read ladies!

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

SIX FEET UNDER is excellent! I'm waiting for the final season to be released on DVD so I can see how they end everything. This show is so bizarre and interesting. I love it!

And about third person, I don't have a prob with it. I love writing both POVs and enjoy reading both as well. And you don't have to worry about CAPTIVE MOON. Readers are gonna love it!

:)

Yasmine Galenorn said...

Congrats to you and Cathy! Yay for you guys. I prefer first person better too--but I'm working on a proposal that involves third person POV. Needless to say, I'm nervous.