Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Why I Usually Don't Read Reviews.

Okay, reviews are important. They give readers an idea of what to expect from a book.

But I don't usually read them.

Why?

1. Because it's too late. The book is on the shelves. It's finished the editing process. For good or bad, I can't go back and change it.

2. Because if the reviews are great I get a swelled head. Praise is a wonderful thing. Getting cocky isn't. And yes, I try not to. But sometimes it's wonderful to have the old ego get a good stroking.

ON THE OTHER HAND

3. Because if the reviews are horrible I get seriously down in the dumps, wonder if I'm really any good at this, etc. One bad review has more power than 50 good ones. Seriously.


So, write your review. Post your review. I thank you for the time and effort. I appreciate you letting other readers know what you think so that they will (hopefully) read the books. But know that I probably won't read the review.

Cie

4 comments:

Dolly said...

Makes perfect sense to me.

Tammy said...

It's one reason why I don't do many reviews. Thankfully the ones I've done in exchange for ARC's (from various authors, not just you and Cathy) have been pretty good - I think th elowest rating I gave was a 3 out of 5. I dread the day I get one and it's lower than that.

Anonymous said...

So, if I were to review this blog post, I'd say it started strong with a good hook that...Cie? Cie, are you still reading?

Ah well...

Keep on writing.

-Shawn

Suzette said...

LOL, nothing wrong with that.