Wednesday, March 07, 2012

VISITING DIGNITARY - CATHY L. CLAMP

Yes folks, indeed, in honor of the release of THE ISIS COLLAR we have the other half of the dynamic duo visiting today.  Give a warm welcome to CATHY L. CLAMP!  (WOOOO HOOOO!!!!)


The Making of a Hero


In THE ISIS COLLAR, our heroine Celia Graves continues to struggle with which of her two favorite guys she prefers. Bruno DeLuca is low-key and thoughtful but funny. He’s caring but sometimes thoughtless, while John Creede is flashy but surprisingly private. He’s supportive but sometimes condescending. In other words, two very typical alpha males. They’re both heroic in their own ways, and both can often clash with what Celia needs or wants.

How does an author create a hero? What traits do they need to be BOTH a knight in shining armor while still realistic enough to have conflicts with the heroine. Most alpha males have things in common that make them the modern equivalent of knights. They frequently have a willingness to help others (or at least can be talked into it with money or power.) They’re physically and mentally tough enough to get through a crisis. They’re driven to excel in what they do and have a high opinion of their talents (usually justified.)

But the flip side of those coins are what are often exasperating to a likewise driven female warrior. They have egos. Oh, lord do they have egos! They expect to get their own way (read as: tough and driven), whether or not anyone has other plans. They’re often moody when they’re losing or likely to lose.

So what makes them so darned endearing? At least for Celia, it’s the caring. Her alpha heroes care about doing the right thing. Yes, sometimes they tromp on the flowers on the way to saving the forest, but by hell or high water, the forest will be saved! They’ll give their last dying breath to be sure they attain their goal. And who doesn’t find that loveable?

We recently did a poll at Coffeetime Romance to ask whether Celia should wind up with Bruno or Creede. So far, Creede is in the lead. But Bruno is the shining star of THE ISIS COLLAR, so will the polls change once everyone has had a chance to read it? Only you can be the judge! Here’s an exclusive excerpt of a kiss from each of the guys. Which one rung Celia’s chime more? Let us know and you’ll be in a drawing to WIN an autographed copy of THE ISIS COLLAR!

First is Creede (because I created Creede so he’s my fav to win!)

********************
Creede knelt in front of me, his hands still on my shoulders. His gaze locked with mine and the compassion in his eyes made me believe the words he spoke next. “I don’t know. But I’m going to find out. I promise.” His fingers squeezed just a bit. “All right?”

A promise from him could be put in the bank. “Okay. Thanks. What should I do until then?”

The corner of his mouth turned up a fraction and his hands moved until they were on either side of my face. “Quit trying to be superwoman. Ask for help when you’re hurt. Remember that if you’re hurt, it’s serious.”
It sounded so logical when he said it. But . . . “That’s not so easy for me.”

The quirk of a smile became an amused flash of teeth. “Tell me about it.”  Without any warning, he leaned forward and eased his lips against mine. I found myself being pulled into the kiss before I realized what was happening. His hand slid around my head, fingers twining in my hair and my eyes closed automatically. I leaned into him before I realized I was doing it. My breath froze in my lungs and I couldn’t seem to think past the dual sensations of magic and gentle pressure as he slowly moved his soft, full lips against mine. Warm breath on my cheek, magic sweet as candy and the caress of his tongue made my knees weak and my stomach do flip-flops. His hand, lightly stroking my hair, sent electric shocks to my scalp. It was a good thing I was sitting down. My heart began pounding hard and my fingers buried themselves in the fabric of the armrests to keep from wrapping around him and pulling him into my lap. I wanted to . . . a lot. The strength of the desire terrified me.

The kiss was probably over in seconds, though it felt like it lasted a week. He drew back slowly and I wound up suspended, eyes closed, enjoying the remaining pull of the magic that tugged at my stomach. A quick, nearly chaste kiss in the back of a store shouldn’t really be that big a deal.

Right.

**********************

And now it’s Bruno’s turn (Bruno is Cie’s favorite, so he always gets equal time!):

**********************

Bruno arrived first and wrapped me in a hug when I opened the door that left me warm but breathless. Then the kiss he bestowed turned what was left of my muscles into jello. “How you doin’?”

I let out a slow sigh and allowed myself to rest against his muscled chest. “Better. The feds used some magic on me. Apparently, my vampire healing doesn’t work on burns. I could still use a little more rest. You?”

He nodded and lowered his mouth to mine once more. I could feel his warm breath on my face as his mouth ate at mine gently. God, those lips. I’d missed them. He smoothed his hands down my back, knowing just where to touch to make me moan. I pulled away after a few moments, shaky but pleased. “Mmm. Much better now. Actually, I’m headed back to New Jersey. Just stopped by on the way to the airport.”

*********************

Which of Celia’s guys do you like better, and why? We really want to know!

Oh, and if you’re intrigued (and you know you are) go out and buy THE ISIS COLLAR by Cat Adams right away! And if you’ve never heard of Celia Graves’ earlier adventures in BLOOD SONG, SIREN SONG and DEMON SONG, they’re on sale until the release of ISIS! It’s a really good sale, too: only $2.99 for a Kindle download. Heck, that’s three for the price of one! And if you’re a print fanatic, they’re also on sale at Amazon on a 4-for-3 special. But lots of other retailers have them on sale too, so go to our publisher’s website (http://us.macmillan.com/theisiscollar/CatAdams) , scroll all the way to the bottom and choose your favorite store.

15 comments:

*yadkny* said...

Hi Cathy!!!
Celia has 2 very different guys in her life, but I guess I am kind of partial to Creede because I do love a challenge:) I won't count Bruno out though especially since in the new book he is the "star". Those were some sweet kissing scenes too... lucky Celia!

yadkny@hotmail.com

BreiaB said...

I still think I am going to have to go with Creede. Yes, Bruno kissed her and touched her the way he knew she liked,but Creede had her feeling it way down in her belly. I don't care as of this moment( not having read The Isis Collar yet)the Bruno is the star of The Isis Collar, my gut says to go with Creede.

bbricke @yahoo.com

BreiaB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ELF said...

Ooh...a visiting dignitary (-:

I like Creede...someone who takes it nice and slow and eases into the moment, yum!

the CynikalKat said...

hi cathy! I'm looking forward to reading the "Isis collar" Its on my list!

dlwmck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jackie said...

Creede wins in my opinion, he and Celia lit up the screen of my phone just like the "fire" he left in Celia's gut when the brief kiss ended!

dlwmck said...

Maybe Celia should take the best of both Creede and Bruno - who say she has to choose, anyway?

Jess said...

Creede...Bruno had his chance and he's turned me off of him with his past mistakes. Whichever way she chooses, I will always be a Celia fan. I can't wait until the release!

Liz S. said...

Creede has a stillness in him that will be Celia's anchor. Bruno had his chance. I don't see him really changing.
He is still number one in his own mind. Loved the kissing scenes!

Jenny S. said...

Creede is my favorite! I like Bruno but Creede has really accepted Celia as she is. I think Bruno had some trouble with that when they were together before. I hope we still get to see Celia and Creede scenes in this one even though you said Bruno will shine.

Cathy Clamp said...

Glad you enjoyed the scenes! I know you'll enjoy the book too. :D

cky15 said...

cky15: love the way you talk about your characters. It sure makes me want to read all of your books. Love to find new authors - thanks glad I stopped by.

Scott Olson said...

OK...so as a guy (and yes gay but whatever)...I'm partial to Creede...he actually to me shows more confidence in Celia. Bruno I can picture as hot (well I can for Creede to) but Creede just seems to exude(sp?) so much more!

Anonymous said...

omg I can't wait to read it, I actually think Ceila shouldn't have to decide between both Bruno and Creede. Either have them both or not (since having either one is unfair, but I guess having both is also....). Ahhh what a hard decision!