Monday, September 13, 2010

Stuff, Nonsense, and a Collection

Good morning.

I have just under ten minutes before the day job officially starts. I am in a good mood. For a Monday that is darned near miraculous so we should all look up and say "THANKS".

And now we return to our regularly scheduled programming.

I have been writing for a while now. Okay, let me rephrase that. I have been writing since I started learning to read. I have been being published regularly for a while now. Like a lot of writers I can't always tell you where inspiration comes from. But I do have "touchstones." When I'm writing a book it helps to have sensory input that puts me in the book reality instead of the office. And over the past few years I've collected one or two things per book.

So far the collection consists of (in no particular order, just how I remember them).

Framed prints of the covers of our books.

WIP -- A dragon pocketwatch with a blood red stone, ordered from e-bay, arriving soon; and a dragon ear-wrap earring, ditto and a set of Chinese dragon bells.

Timeless Moon -- A porcelain doll that I swear is exactly the way I saw Liselle/Amber in my head in her past.

Howling Moon -- A stuffed jaguar that Cathy gave me.

Blood Song - the photo that inspired the whole series for me and a bunch of music that speaks to me of the various characters.

Magic's Design - a statue of the tree of life. (Bonsai)

There's more, but I'm running out of time. But it is fun/cool being able to look at my shelves and see my touchstones, reliving the process of creating those worlds.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

ooohhhh Another dragon fan. ::grin:: you should see my shelves I collect dragons of all sorts.

Can't wait to see how it ties in to the WIP.