Thursday, June 02, 2005

The Good Things

Life is exhausting sometimes. I get caught up in the "gotta do's" and start running like a wild thing from pillar to post trying to accomplish more than is physically possible to do. How many errands can you stuff into one lunch hour? How much can you do in that half hour between when you wake up and have to start getting ready for work? It's counter-productive because you wind up so tired that you've dealt with today's crisis, but you can't prepare and do the things you need to do to make sure there ISN'T a tomorrow's crisis. So the next day you're in the same situation.

At some point you lose all the joy and juice and are just running for your survival.

I hate it.

It's a trap that I've fallen into more often than I would like to say: Dealing with the urgent at the expense of the important. It particularly happens when I get sick -- or I get sick when it happens and I've pushed my body too far. (I think this may be one of the oribus [correct word?] snake-eating-its-own-tail kind of things.)

I need to sit back, slow down, and be grateful for all of the wonderful things in my life. Once I show a little appreciation for what I have, I can enjoy myself and decide what else I want. So, for one week I am going to SLOW DOWN and cut back on some of the extraneous stuff so that I can ride the horse instead of having the horse run wild with me on its back. I think it will help me get the "juice" back in my writing as well. Because the only scenes that have had any life to them this past week or two have been really angsty -- and that's not what I want to have dominate the book.

Posts will probably be shorter than usual. Bear with me.

Cie

2 comments:

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

I agree Cie, please take it easy and try not to push yourself too much. We all want you to feel better SOON and feel re-freshed too, okay?

All the best,
:)

Anonymous said...

Cie,
I know exactly what you are talking about, but let me put it to you in the perspective of how I think, so as to put it in a "different light" so to speak, since I recently phrased it to my Parents and to my boss of what life is like for me. So here goes, You and I are both "single" people who live on our own, so we have to take care of EVERYTHING ourselves, so EVERYTHING is a big deal and a lot of work and time for us. Last weekend, for example, we had the 3-day weekend, I spent almost the entire day on Saturday running stupid errands! However, on Sunday and Monday, I kicked back, but on Saturday I made a list and said to myself that I was going to do everything on that list no matter what (and I did), so I had a "busy" and a "relaxing" weekend. In addition to that, you are an author who works at another job too, you and I both have two jobs, so when we are sick, it's even a BIGGER deal. I think the only peopel who can relate are people raising little kids, as so much of their free-time is spent helping someone else, also, someone who is taking care of a sick parent can probably also relate. life is hard, no doubt, but you can only do what you can do.
Jim