Thursday, June 10, 2010

Looking Determinedly on the Bright Side

I am looking determinedly on the bright side.

For example. The going away party started late, so by the time we got to the non-Mexican-food restaurant it was too full for a party of seven. We could not eat on the patio because someone had parked a cattle truck somewhere nearby and we all were agreed that the smell was somewhat less than appetizing. Besides, there's just something wrong about me ordering a steak and eating it under the eyes of a future steak. Yeah, they don't know. But STILL.

ANYWAY, we ended up going to one of the Mexican food restaurants. (NOT the one that gave me ohmigawdImayjustdie food poisoning, but Mexican food nonetheless. I sat at the far end of the table, in the farthest corner of the room away from the kitchen and ordered plain old American food. I did my very best not to look at or get downwind of my co-workers Mexican food. Thus I did not end up tossing my cookies during the meal and effectively ruining the going-away party. WOO HOO.

Example two is the launch of BLOOD SONG.

I am very freakin' proud of that book. We worked our asses off on it. As primary I am particularly assless (NOT--it grew back almost instantly, dammit). And in less than 24 hours after release there were pirate sites offering it.

In the morning there was only one that Cathy found. At 12:00 when Cathy checked, still only one (although the attorneys at the publisher were about to pounce on that). At 1:00 there were 15 new ones.

In one hour 15 more had put it up.

Okay, I could scream and rant like a lot of folks, because it's stealing, and it's stealing from me and DAMMIT I WORKED HARD ON THAT BOOK. BUT, I am determined to look on the bright side. So after deciding that it wasn't really feasible to try to hunt down each of the perpetrators and kick them in the N... (SHINS, I was going to say SHINS.) I decided to look at it this way. They liked the book well enough, and thought it was good enough, that they got right out there and moved in on it. In a perverse way it shows interest, and appreciation. Right? RIGHT? At least that's how I intend to take it -- all the while turning them over to the legal types who will kick them in the N. . . SHINS metaphorically.

SO, the book is out. It is being appreciated (hopefully mostly by those folks who pay for it legally and/or check it out of their local library). This is a good thing.

Now let me say for the record, IF a book isn't available in e-format and you are a die-hard e type, I'm willing to look the other way. But this is a brand-new release and the publisher was kind enough to make sure it was put out in every conceivable format they could come up with. SO, that's no excuse. And I don't go for the whole "test drive" theory either. You don't get to test-drive a movie by going to the theater and watching it then coming out and saying "Nah, didn't like it. Gimme my money back." Entertainment is inexpensive enough that you don't get to treat it like buying a freakin' car.

So you will have to pardon me a bit. For while I will insist on being flattered that they like it well enough to steal it. I will also be more than a little ticked that they're freakin' STEALING MY BOOK.

8 comments:

Tammy said...

You and Cathy have every right to be proud of this book - it's freaking awesome! I already want book 2 so I can see what else you guys do to poor Celia ::grin::

Dolly said...

Fantastic. I love this book. Course I love all your books. I like that you don't treat us like idiots. When I read one of your books, I don't think, okay that was nice. I'm not just pleasantly pleased. Your books evoke real feeling from me. I'm in awe of that.
You're right. Now matter how you look at it, IT'S STEALING. I truly hate liars and thieves.

Shannon said...

Pre-ordered it last week from my local indie bookseller. Glad to have the chance to support authors that I love!

Suzette said...

I actually bought the book Bllod Song during BBB event. Got it in mail but havent had chance to start it. Unfortunately I had just gone to library and borrowed like 12 books so have to read those first. two weeks is all I have unless I renew.

Anonymous said...

you will like XOJNnEcC [URL=http://www.prada-outlet2013.net/]prada outlet[/URL] suprisely FsVxdAwY [URL=http://www.prada-outlet2013.net/ ] http://www.prada-outlet2013.net/ [/URL]

Anonymous said...

cheap EmxamxTD [URL=http://www.replica-handbags2013.com/]fake designer handbags[/URL] suprisely QBYgVQcZ [URL=http://www.replica-handbags2013.com/ ] http://www.replica-handbags2013.com/ [/URL]

Anonymous said...

I am sure you will love [URL=http://guccioutlet6.devhub.com/]gucci online shop[/URL] at my estore aaBxXsEF [URL=http://guccioutlet6.devhub.com/ ] http://guccioutlet6.devhub.com/ [/URL]

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.