Saturday, November 27, 2004

Another Morning

Another morning. Time is flying by in a blur. It's fun, but its scarey. I look at how long everything seemed like it was going to take, and how fast it seems to have gone by, and I'm just stunned.

I'm enjoying my life in Texas. I have a great job, a great boss, the house is cool, and none of it was here a year ago. But at the same time, it feels like its been here forever. It feels "right." That probably doesn't make any sense, but it's true just the same.

The day after Thanksgiving is the official beginning of the Christmas season for me. I have a "rule" that you don't get to do Christmas before then because you end up shorting two of my favorite holidays if you do. In fact, I made up a song about it when I was in my teens.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
'Though the leaves are green.
Take a look at the 5 and 10.
They're doing it once again.
Although we haven't yet had Halloween!

It's beginning to sound a lot like Christmas.
Carols everywhere.
And the difficult part for me
as before each year will be
Acting like I care.
Acting like I care.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Christmas (although I hate that people think they need to go into debt for six months to pay for it!). It's just that when they start it in August or September I just get TIRED of it. There are only so many Christmas carols that get played in every BLASTED store... You get the drift. BUT after Thanksgiving it's fair game.

SO, I bought Christmas cards, and James and I picked up some decorations to replace ones that got lost or destroyed in the whole move thing, and we started going at it last night. We'll finish tonight when he gets off work. I could do it during the day, but then I'd be doing it alone, and my son wants to be a part of this. Which is really seriously cool when it comes down to it.

Musically, I really like the Trans Siberian Orchestra's Christmas music, so that'll probably be the album of carols (album -- aren't I just showing MY age) we use. And I will play it, and we'll have decorated, and I will celebrate all the good things in my life, and pray for those less fortunate. And I will try not to feel guilty about the fact that I can't do and BE everything to everybody who wants and/or needs me to. Because given even the vaguest opportunity, I feel guilty. (In my case it's an Irish Catholic thing, although my Jewish friends tell me that they are quite good at it too.) I just need to repeat the mantra: "I get to be happy. I GET to be happy."

No comments: